SPECIAL EVENT: Sensory Scavenger Hunt II @ the Mall at Fox Run
**Tickets on sale starting February 1st for the Community.**
ABOUT THE EVENT:
Join us for a sensory experience that will put a big smile on your dog’s face. And when your dog is happy, you are happy, right? This activity is great for senior dogs and dogs with limited mobility or in wheel carts. We also invite reactive dogs and younger dogs/puppies to engage in this mentally stimulating event.
The Sensory Scavenger Hunt II at the Mall, in collaboration with Monica Allaire-McMahon of Barrington Barks & Behavior and the Mall at Fox Run, provides your dog with mental stimulation and enrichment over 600,000 square feet! The second version of this unique event is completely revised based on member feedback and suggestions from the first event offered last year.
Whether you live with a dedicated nose to the ground sniffer, an enthusiastic adolescent or a more dignified mature pup, this event is appropriate for you. Your dog will lead you on a journey to locate over 25 unique scents “hidden” around the mall. Monica will also be available for questions as you and your dog engage in this exercise.
Worried your dog may have an accident? We have you covered. All adventure guides will be carrying backpacks with cleaning supplies and and will help you to easily clean up any messes!
- The hunt will take place from 8:30 – 10:30am, prior to the Mall opening to the public. Arrive anytime and stay until your dog is mentally satisfied.
- The event is limited to 35 dogs.
- Participants will be directed to move in a clockwise fashion to allow plenty of space between canine/human teams.
- A live Q&A session will be held in our Zoom Room on Thursday, February 10th from 7:00 – 8:00pm to review guidelines and ensure a fun and memorable experience. In addition, Monica will answer your questions about how to maximize your dog’s exposure to this event. If you cannot attend live, the recording will be made available immediately following the session. Participants will receive an email 48 hours prior to the live session with a Zoom link. If you register after the live session, you will receive a link to the replay after registering.
- Scented dots will be numbered so they are easy to locate. They will also be located around the inside exterior wall of the mall vs. up the middle aisle.
- You will be given a scent key at check in that will list scents your dog will hunt for, including more animal scents (duck, squirrel, goat, horse, coyote, rabbit, racoon, cow and chicken), sweet, pungent, earthy, fishy, fruity, flowery and other interesting scents. This will help you identify the scents that excite your dog the most.
In addition, there will be two stations set up in the Mall where your dog can exercise their body with a focus on slow thoughtful movement and connection with you. There we also be a larger area set up with sensory pits and snuffle mats for additional exploration and fun.
Your dog will also receive a participation prize for joining us at this event. A yummy treat for their hard work!
BENEFITS OF THIS ACTIVITY:
Through quiet observation of your dog, you can expect to:
- Gather information about how your individual dog navigates the world using their exquisite sense of smell;
- Experience a smiling leash as you follow your pup;
- Have a glimpse into what choices your dog makes about interaction with the mall environment;
- Work together through a series of items while building trust and maintaining thoughtful movement.
Engaging the “Sniffing Brain” and slowing down benefits both the dog and human by:
- Allowing time to gather and process information and choosing an appropriate behavioral output;
- Spending more time in the parasympathetic nervous system (rest and digest).
In addition, slow thoughtful movement engages core muscles needed for strength and stability.
The Mall at Fox Run is rated Level 1, flat and wide
COST: Limited to 35 tickets. **Tickets on sale starting February 1st for the Community.**
- Members – $30/dog Your discount will be reflected in the Cart.
- Non-members – $40/dog
- Please no children under the age of 15
We highly recommend only 1 dog/person for maximum happiness. However, if your dogs like to work as a team, no more than 2 dogs/person please.
Full refunds issued if cancellation received 48 hours prior to event start time, otherwise no refund if canceled after.
Mall at Fox Run, 50 Fox Run Road, Newington, NH
WHAT TO KNOW BEFORE JOINING AN EVENT:
Please review our Club Guidelines, sign our Liability Waivers & Release Forms, and read our covid guidelines on our Events & Activities page.
If weather or covid conditions make gathering and walking unsafe, the event will be cancelled and registered participants will receive a email cancellation notice. It will also be announced in the Event section of the Facebook Group and on this Calendar page.
If you have questions, text/call (603) 815-2453 or email email@example.com.