Please keep yourself and your dogs safe this time of year – hunting season in New Hampshire starts September 1st (Bear) and 15th (Deer).
Follow these safety tips to enjoy your hike and stay safe:
- Wear brightly colored clothes or a safety vest.
- Have your dog wear a brightly colored bandanna, vest or harness.
- Read posts on hiking trails to see if hunting is permitted.
- Stay on the trail and keep your dog on leash.
- Do not hike/walk in the woods on 9/1 and 9/15 since more hunters are in the woods at the start of each season.
- Carry a whistle or bell and make noise when walking.
- Hike with the Golden Dog Community – there is safety in numbers.
Watch our interview with Patrick Tate, a certified wildlife biologist at NH Fish & Game, about dog walking safety for pet owners during trapping season.
For more information about hunting season in New Hampshire, visit the NH Fish & Game website.