Do you love a reactive dog?
Are you Worried? Embarrassed? Ashamed? Nervous? about participating in one of our Adventures?
These are all feelings you should NOT be concerned about.
If you love a reactive dog, there is absolutely a place for you in the Golden Dog Adventure Co. Community.
With the help of our dog training partners, we have evolved our understanding of the special and specific needs of dogs that overreact to stimuli in their environment. Whether your dog is anxious, uncomfortable around dogs and/or people, barks excessively, lunges at other dogs, or exhibits another reactive behavior, our team works hard to ensure a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment for these special dogs and their people.
Not all dogs will feel comfortable as part of our pack, but we invite you to try one of our Adventures and see if it is right for you. You are also welcome to attend without your dog so you can connect with like-minded people and learn valuable skills you can apply in smaller settings with your dog.
We have had great success, over the years, introducing reactive dogs and their people to our Adventures. The video and resources below offer additional info on the processes and systems we have put in place to welcome you into our community and membership.
Traci's reactive dog Dakota
Here are some additional resources we have shared with the community over the years about successfully introducing reactive dogs to the pack.
- Jayme & Traci test walk their reactive dogs together (2019)
- Member Livecast Event – Listen to stories from members about why they joined, the journey some have made with their reactive dogs, and what this community means to them (2022)
Members share stories about their reactive dogs
In this video, we interviewed five members who all love reactive dogs. Each dog’s reactive behavior and personality are very different.
If you love a reactive dog, listen to the stories of these five women and see if you can relate.
We want you to feel included
We have several procedures and systems in place to make you and your reactive dog feel welcomed at our events, including:
- Complimentary yellow ribbons, or yellow bandannas for $2 each
- Awareness of dogs in need of additional space (D.I.N.O.S) at every event with other participants
- Awareness of the importance of basket muzzle training
- Visual blocks set up at venues (when possible) to provide a comfortable barrier for reactive dogs
- Tips, ideas, and resources provided from dog training Partners who have lots of experience working with reactive dogs
- Ongoing training for all Adventure Guide team members on behavior, body language, reactive dog needs, and more
- Advocacy/protection for all dogs in the pack when an unleashed dog approaches
- Limiting social greetings at the start of an event
- Finding trails that are wide and parking lots that allow participants to spread out
- Opportunities to rotate your position within the pack
Reactive Dog Support Groups
If you love a reactive dog then our Reactive Dog Support Group will help you learn more about your special dog as well as give you a chance to connect with other reactive dog owners and hear their stories.
Our monthly session runs February – November in our Zoom Room.
Participants are encouraged to share their struggles and challenges and get support from other members.
Resources are provided and “homework” assignments occasionally given to help reinforce your knowledge of reactive dogs and how to provide loving care to them.
Special guests also join us from time to time to answer your questions and provide additional tips and ideas. We also have a topic of discussion each month.
Check our Calendar for upcoming sessions.
Tell us About Your Special Dog
We want to learn about you and your reactive dog as well as the struggles you face with introducing your dog to the pack. Our team is here to listen and offer advice on the safest and effective ways to welcome you and your dog to one of our Adventures. Please reach out so we can connect about your individual needs.